At this time of the year there are some lovely seasonal offerings (and summer dishes) and I would just like to highlight a few and suggest some wines from the Wine Trust selection
• English Asparagus – now in full flow the season ends officially on 21 June
• Other Spring Vegetables – including young carrots, early peas and broad beans, new season potatoes (including Jersey Royals) celery, spring onions, beetroot
• Spring Salads including Lollo Rosso and Verde, Romaine, Radicchio, Rocket, Spinach
• Fish – especially Crabs, Flat Fish, Prawns and Shrimps (the mussel season is over) and wild Sea Trout
• New Season Lamb
• New Season British Strawberries
• And of course, good old BBQ fare!
I thought I would take the above and provide you with two options, which in theory could both work well with these foods. Please do be adventurous – often a wine works well with certain foods when you might have been a little less enthusiastic when trying it on its own. However, the number one maxim remains when talking about food and wine pairing – personal preference is the final arbiter. Please note that I have starred ** those wines which also have the capacity to work well with more savoury, or umami foods.
Hope this helps to make the most of lockdown and you home picnic!